Thursday, January 10, 2008

Mole part I

Mole National Park Lodgings are located on a cliff overlooking a water hole. When we first got there I went to the balcony and looked out over the waterhole. We saw 3 elephants drinking there. I took a picture of one of them. Can you find it? It's near the water on the left side. Do you see how hazy it is? this is the harmatan, or dry season. Dust from the sahara is carried in the wind making the sky look white and hard to see far distances. If you come during the wet season, I've been told that it's very very green and that you can see the jungle for miles and miles!



Warthogs and baboons freely roam the grounds of the lodge. We all loved it! Although, the baboons can be quite mean, so view at a distance!
This is a baboon mother. Can you see her baby clinging to her belly?
This is the one elephant that we saw on our hike! The girls named him Eduardo. He's in the middle raising his trunk. In the travel guide it said that the best time to view elephants was during the dry season for they're drawn to the water hole. makes sense, although this was not the case for us. Our friend, Ana, went over a year ago during the wet season and saw an entire HERD! Oh well, it was still fun and well worth it!
This is a giant termite mound. Disgusting? As long as I didn't have to see any right!



5 comments:

Ute Family said...

This is all amazing and facinating stuff. I love reading your blog. You are so lucky to be there...what an experience. I'm obsessed with animals so seeing wild ones would be quite a treat for me. Soak it all in...it's an experience of a lifetime.

Karen said...

Thanks for sending along the blog link. It's good to see you guys are having a great time. Enjoy!!!!

Megan said...

I am so jealous, but glad you are enjoying your time there! I can't believe you actually saw those animals, not to mention that termite whatever it is. I just saw a PBS thing about some fire ant that African people use to kill termites. Have you ever seen a picture of the queen termite? Think maggot times twenty. It takes twenty termites to carry her she's so massive. In case you cared. . .

curtis and linda said...

Love the pictures !! Keep it coming, it really is exciting to read your blog. It has become like a show I cant stop watching, I'm addicted. You all look great!

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys so much!!! Keep posting so I know whats happening your life! My hello to all!

-Ganisha