Along the way to Mole, we stopped at a village named Larabanga. It is home to the oldest mosque in Ghana. It's claimed to be a 14th century or 15th century mosque, depending on who you're talking to. As soon as you get out of the car, you're swarmed by tons of kids and adult males who want to take you on a tour. All of course are only wanting a way to get some money. It was pretty neat and all the little children were quite charming. And yes, some of them did actually end up getting some money from us!
This below is a wall that displays a calendar of a year. At least that is what this boy told me. It was how they kept track of time. (I'm not sure how much to believe on this one)

This is the mosque. Can you find Craig??

The Waite family with the Mosque.

I thought this little girl was so cute. This is how women carry their babies. They attach them to their backs with a long piece of cloth and go about their day. These little kids just sit there or sleep until it's time to eat. The women are amazing. They will carry their kids up to maybe 2yrs. I've seen some big kids on their backs. To top it off, they will also have some incredibly heavy item on their head to. It's so awesome. I just haven't captured it on camera yet. Sometimes you will see big sisters carrying their younger siblings like his girl here. SO CUTE! I don't think this little girl had any clothing on besides this towel to carry her sister in.

In the end, the young boys who took me around for a tour convinced me of their sob story of how their soccer ball was finished, or busted, and they needed a new one. The balls cost 5 Ghana Cedis, which is like $5. Craig told me there was no way they were buying a ball with the money. I figure, these kids don't have anything, so if they don't get a ball with the money they'll use it for something. They need the money more than I do.

All in all, an interesting stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment