Instead of deciding to stay in Techiman (about an hour from Kumasi) for the night, we pushed on to Kumasi and decided to stay at the same place we stayed before with the hot showers, and omelet breakfasts! We decided that the next day (Saturday) we would go to the kente cloth village (bonwire) and the wood carvers village and the HUGE market. The market is known as one of the largest or the largest in all of west Africa. We headed to the kente cloth village first. The weavers are all men. It seems very taxing to weave this cloth. It's complicated and I don't quite know how to explain it except that they hold some string in their toes to keep the different threads that they weave with their hands tight. When you arrive at the building where the do the weaving, all the weavers stop weaving when you get there and follow you around begging you to look at their cloth so that you'll buy it. There were about 10 different weavers and each are at different levels of expertise. This guy claimed he was one of the master weavers and his work was beautiful. Outside of the building there are tons of people wanting you to buy their kente goods: keychains, bookmarks, purse's, jewelry, hairbands, etc. It can get quite annoying. But for some reason at this place we all decided that it was a great game and enjoyed the bargaining. I had this little boy trying to sell a purse to me. I actually like it. He said $4 and I knew that it was worth about $2. So I said, no 2. He gave me the puppy dog eye look, "please, no. 4" I looked at him and said, "you know that 2 is a good price." He was obviously learning the process of convincing the foreigners to buy goods because he got all shy and looked down and smiled. This is what actually stole my heart. I said, "see you are smiling. you know i'm right. i'll give you 2." he kept smiling, but realized he was totally giving it away that I was right. It's like he was telling himself, 'compose yourself, you're losing the battle! you're giving it away!' So he looked down and then looked up but with a pleading look and said, no please 4" I just smiled pinched his cheek and said, "tell you what I'll give you $2.50 but only because you are soo cute!" This made him blush again and he smiled and looked down. And of course he accepted the deal.
So we stayed in Kumasi for 2 whole days. We relaxed on Sunday. Craig and I found an LDS chapel there and went to church. After a great relaxing break from our travels we headed out first thing Monday morning for Cape Coast. Did I mention that our van had been having transmission problems? Kumasi came at great timing because our driver was able to get the problem fixed during those 2 days. So on to Cape Coast. We stayed at a guesthouse there. After check-in we went to Castle Restaurant to eat lunch. It's located right next to Cape Coast Castle. Perfect since the girls wanted to tour the castle and Craig and I wanted to shop around in the market on the inside of the castle walls. At the restaurant, we celebrated Adriana's birthday. It was New Year's Eve. Can you imagine having a birthday on New Year's? What a party every year! Craig and I ordered hamburgers at the restaurant. Only to be disappointed. If you order a beef burger, it always comes back as an Italian Sausage burger. Not horrible, but definately not what you want when craving an American burger!!!
Our view from our table. Awesome!
After lunch, the girls toured and we enjoyed shopping. While we were shopping a local dance and drumming group started practicing in the courtyard for an upcoming show. We got to sit and enjoy! It was awesome. The castle is in the background of this shot.
Up close, these dancers are blowing some kind of traditional horns made of some kind of animal horn (bulls?). Sorry, it's not like I know everything here! It's very cool though to watch.
More to come of the rest of our stay. The internet has really been giving us problems lately, so that's why there is always so many days inbetween blogs. Hope you're enjoying the crazy Waite saga.



No comments:
Post a Comment