This is Esther. It's also a super long story so I'll just try to condense it. My friend who lives in Ghana as the wife of a church employee volunteer teaches at Kingsley's school. I've sent pictures of the kids at the school before. anyway, all the community is involved in each other's lives, etc. One day, she went to the school to teach and a few days later came home with a baby. The mother had died leaving behind her 6 yr. old and 3 mo. old baby. (i think that's how old she was at the time.) The father didn't think he could take care of the children. (women are VERY important in their culture). so he gave the 6 yr. old to his sister and the baby to Kingsley begging him to take care of her. he in turn asked her to take the baby knowing that she could take care of her better. Kingsley couldn't take the baby at the moment and she would be left to the village to be cared for. that has happen before and in the past the babies have usually died withing a few months from lack of food, love, whatever. She wanted to think about it. Decided to visit the baby in her living conditions and saw what they were feeding her (which I'm not sure she could identify it) and decided to just take her. so imagine being in your 50-60's and taking on a new baby to care for. Talk about an easy adoption. When she decided to take Esther, the family (grandparents, aunts, and uncles) had to approve it. They did and had an official village ceremony giving her the baby. Crazy. So now, she is going through the legal bit of trying to actually adopt her so that when it comes time for her to come home, she can bring the baby too. Actually, her son and his family have decided to adopt her so they are going through the legal business of it all. Isn't she cute though. I don't know how long it will take, but I maybe adopting in Ghana wouldn't take tooo long, esp. if you have plenty of money for bribing, but that's another story of another friend I made when I first moved there. In the end she spent 3 months there to get the Ghana gov. to get in gear and her father spent like 5 or 10 thousand in bribing money to speed things along.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Please, just take the baby............
This is Esther. It's also a super long story so I'll just try to condense it. My friend who lives in Ghana as the wife of a church employee volunteer teaches at Kingsley's school. I've sent pictures of the kids at the school before. anyway, all the community is involved in each other's lives, etc. One day, she went to the school to teach and a few days later came home with a baby. The mother had died leaving behind her 6 yr. old and 3 mo. old baby. (i think that's how old she was at the time.) The father didn't think he could take care of the children. (women are VERY important in their culture). so he gave the 6 yr. old to his sister and the baby to Kingsley begging him to take care of her. he in turn asked her to take the baby knowing that she could take care of her better. Kingsley couldn't take the baby at the moment and she would be left to the village to be cared for. that has happen before and in the past the babies have usually died withing a few months from lack of food, love, whatever. She wanted to think about it. Decided to visit the baby in her living conditions and saw what they were feeding her (which I'm not sure she could identify it) and decided to just take her. so imagine being in your 50-60's and taking on a new baby to care for. Talk about an easy adoption. When she decided to take Esther, the family (grandparents, aunts, and uncles) had to approve it. They did and had an official village ceremony giving her the baby. Crazy. So now, she is going through the legal bit of trying to actually adopt her so that when it comes time for her to come home, she can bring the baby too. Actually, her son and his family have decided to adopt her so they are going through the legal business of it all. Isn't she cute though. I don't know how long it will take, but I maybe adopting in Ghana wouldn't take tooo long, esp. if you have plenty of money for bribing, but that's another story of another friend I made when I first moved there. In the end she spent 3 months there to get the Ghana gov. to get in gear and her father spent like 5 or 10 thousand in bribing money to speed things along.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I wish our adoption process was this short!
What a beautiful girl. I am so glad that she will be with a good family that can take care of her.
I posted as Nathan. Sorry
Sad story, but what a beautiful girl! I hope that all works out and they don't have to spend so much in bribe money... sad!
Hey Sarah, tell Becky to invite me to her blog. I need to send her Lydia's b-day invite and the only way I can is through making a comment on her blog.
Give her my email:
erinbabyblue23@yahoo.com
Thanks, you're the best. Hey, if you lived here, I'd invite you too!
Cute little girl, BTW!
Post a Comment