In Ghana there is no minute rice. You buy it in bags of many different sizes. Yes, just like in the US. Anyway, our bag sat for about a month before we used it because we went on a trip and I was finishing a previous one. So, when I opened it up finally, I found all these little black bugs EVERYWHERE! I wanted to clean them out and asked a neighbor (who obviously didn't understand me) what to do. She said that they find bugs all the time, no big deal and that they put the rice in the water to boil and the bugs drift to the top and you can scoop them out or just cook them in and no big deal. I said, "so I can take all my rice and get out all these bugs?" Yes. HELLO! What dumb blonde planet are you from Sarah! Yes, I know that once you put rice in water that you must cook it or it spoils. I don't know what I was thinking. I obviously forgot or maybe thought that this Thai rice was more indestructible. so, I took ALL the rice and did it in turns putting it in a huge bowl and filling it with water, letting the bugs float to the top, scooping them out, and then letting the clean rice sit to dry out a little. A very big process and craig helped me. It seems that we both sorta forgot about rice and the effects. Then it hits! Oh man!!!! I called my mom(an emergency of course :)) She said something along the lines of why on Earth would you do that and it's ruined unless you eat it all tonight etc...... I started calling friends to see if anyone wanted some rice. Of course not. so, we used some for our dinner that night. I cooked up a little bit more that could be put in a container and stored in the fridge to be used within the next few days. What a waste of money, what a waste of food! Oh well. We learned our lesson!!
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Not one of our finer moments....
In Ghana there is no minute rice. You buy it in bags of many different sizes. Yes, just like in the US. Anyway, our bag sat for about a month before we used it because we went on a trip and I was finishing a previous one. So, when I opened it up finally, I found all these little black bugs EVERYWHERE! I wanted to clean them out and asked a neighbor (who obviously didn't understand me) what to do. She said that they find bugs all the time, no big deal and that they put the rice in the water to boil and the bugs drift to the top and you can scoop them out or just cook them in and no big deal. I said, "so I can take all my rice and get out all these bugs?" Yes. HELLO! What dumb blonde planet are you from Sarah! Yes, I know that once you put rice in water that you must cook it or it spoils. I don't know what I was thinking. I obviously forgot or maybe thought that this Thai rice was more indestructible. so, I took ALL the rice and did it in turns putting it in a huge bowl and filling it with water, letting the bugs float to the top, scooping them out, and then letting the clean rice sit to dry out a little. A very big process and craig helped me. It seems that we both sorta forgot about rice and the effects. Then it hits! Oh man!!!! I called my mom(an emergency of course :)) She said something along the lines of why on Earth would you do that and it's ruined unless you eat it all tonight etc...... I started calling friends to see if anyone wanted some rice. Of course not. so, we used some for our dinner that night. I cooked up a little bit more that could be put in a container and stored in the fridge to be used within the next few days. What a waste of money, what a waste of food! Oh well. We learned our lesson!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
hahahaha! i totally remember this and your frantic call! oh memories...did you ever actually finish your bucket of rice?
That's not very "rice"...ha ha. You should have eaten the bugs, my mom used to say it gave the food more protein (well, at least with weavils....)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Post a Comment