Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Candy and Night howling

In Ghana, most candy you buy is imported candy. They do however have their own and guess what it is. Cough drops. That's right, menthol. They LOVE this stuff! They have different flavors that we don't have. This one is flavored ginger. Let me tell you, this stuff is HOT! It burns your tongue it's so strong and the kids love this stuff. Earlier I blogged about some friends (Kingsley and his family) who came over for dinner and I made them tacos. Their son was sick with a bad cough so I went to get him my Halls MAX cough drops. His eyes bulged when he saw that I was going to give him the whole box. He looked at his sister and said, "toffee, toffee!" That's what they call candy there, toffee. It doesn't matter if it's chocolate, suckers, whatever, it's all toffee.


Now this wasn't really howling, but sometimes it sounded like it. Every Friday night starting anywhere from 11:30pm-12:30am the penecostal church RIGHT NEXT DOOR would start worship. They would sing and most often SHOUT into a microphone whose speakers, I swear, were pointed right towards our bedroom window. This doesn't even sound half as loud. It really sounded as if they were shouting into our bedroom window. Thus, our tradition of Friday night earplugs began. The kids learned to sleep right through it and eventually I as well. Only on nights where he screamed the whole night instead of just for a half hour or an hour did I struggle with my sleep. The worship would last until 4-5am. We have so many recordings of it because we just thought we needed to remember it so that we could always be thankful for quiet nights back in the US. Towards the end I think they were really tired because it would sound like howling, as if they were sorta falling asleep into the microphone. Kinda like some drunk guy trying to sing and stay on pitch and not slur his words. One night, Spencer was running a fever and at 4am, I called my brother...Doctor Dan (it was only 11pm in Kansas). After discussing things he finally asked, "what is that noise!?" So, it was loud enough that at 4am my brother could hear it from the phone!

1 comment:

Ute Family said...

Oh my gosh...I would die! I am the lightest sleeper EVER and I think I would have to move! What troopers you are for staying there! I laughed as soon as the video started because I had no idea it would be that loud. I thought it would at least be muffled. Oh, you poor thing. Welcome back to the quiet US!

It was fun catching up on your blog!