So you are out and about and all of a sudden you need to go to the bathroom!!! What do you do? Well, you have a couple of choices. You can use the usual public urination system of going wherever you want! That's right, morning noon and night you can just go wherever you want. Well, I guess that's not true. You can't pee on the walls that have 'DON'T URINATE HERE!!' written on them. Everytime we go out for a drive we always see men peeing in the gutters or on the walls of some building or on the grass. I only see women on very rare occasions and it's always a little more private. I was walking in the market and a little girl needed to go so she squat right there on the sidewalk and went. On our trip up to Ho (and eventually Togo) our tro tro had broken down for about 10 minutes, so everyone hopped off and urinated on the side of the road. No one sought out a tree or bush to hide behind. what's the point of that. And no, I do not take pictures of people using the restroom! How rude, but sometimes when you are taking pictures, it gets caught. Below is a picture of a man urinating on a wall. It's a little blurred, but that's for the better.
You're next choice: Well, when you have small children, it poses a problem. I will not just pull the car over and go nor will I let my children do that. So, we went to an art market during our first week here and Rachel announces that she has to go to the potty. The toilets weren't working (which really would have been a hole in the ground, but at least behind a door, so I don't know why they weren't working unless he was just hoping we'd pay him for getting to use his bathroom!) so he took us to his home right there at the market. He pointed to a cement wall and said "there!" I said "where?" and he pointed again and said "just there." It was a cement gutter and a cement wall to block outside viewers. I had to hold Rachel because she didn't quite grasp what the heck we were doing and didn't understand "just squat and get it over with!!!!" Needless to say that yes I got some unwanted liquid on my feet! Sorry if this grosses you out, but when you come here you just need to accept it! So about a month ago, we were at another art market and once again Rachel needed to go to the bathroom, so we were lead to the bathrooms! Yes! We're going to a bathroom!!!Here it is folks! this is a bathroom!
This is the inside. So if you are needing to unload something else, you are to use a black trashbag, go in that, and then throw it into the gutter (which was a stream at this place) or on a trash pile that had been started and would eventually be burned. I know! Littering really isn't a concern here. They just don't have trashcans. So yes, it smelled and I just wanted it to get over with fast.
Now if you go to buildings that are very modern, then of course they are going to have a bathroom with flushing toilets, but those aren't everywhere.
Just thought sorta, somewhat, maybe not at all that you would enjoy this!



2 comments:
I can't believe I missed this post. I was just looking through some of your old pictures and saw this post and boy am I glad I looked twice. What an interesting thing...and disgusting all at the same time. What a woman you are to endure all of this. I bet it will change your perspective when you come back to the states :) Maybe we should all go to those parts of Africa so we won't take so much for granted. Man, we are so lucky! You should be coming home soon, right! Maybe we'll see eachother again!
And I thought Japanese SQUATTY POTTIES were gross... nope, yours take the cake! And I totally know what you mean about getting urine on your feet... when you have to stand, it just happens when you are a girl... boys are way more lucky in that arena!
Post a Comment