So way back in March, our friend Ana took 300 mosquito nets to Kingsley's school/orphanage. It's all part of her research and the non-profit organization that she's part of. We decided to go and visit and help out so we loaded our trunk and I mean loaded and every spare space inside the car with nets. It was quite a site. Yes, I have pictures of it and many many more that are super cool, but these are my favorites. The whole community practically came out to get their free nets. Unfortunately, some parents who don't have kids in the school, came to get nets and there weren't enough for everyone. We are going to go back in a couple of weeks to take about another 100. This first picture, although Ana looks loverly, it was taken to show the anger on the faces of the Ghanaians. They are always yelling and negotiating and things like that. It's just part of their culture, but I wanted it on camera. They actually were mad in this one. They were fighting over who should get the last of the nets. The pregnant women or mothers with small babies. Just look at the faces!
I LOVE this shot. Having a camera is very exciting to them. Many children and women were asking me to take their pictures. I was in heaven. Some mothers would thrust their children infront of my face and tell me to take their picture, as if somehow they would become famous by having their picture taken. It was awesome! This woman, below, asked me to take her picture and she posed and everything, but didn't wait long enough for the camera to take it and had started laughing. So this is what was caught and I just love it! I of course took another one, explaining to her that she had to wait until I said it was okay, but this is by far my favorite.
I got lucky with this one. I was snapping shots and got this cute baby yawning!
Many women carry their babies with a sun shade to protect them.
Look at how BEAUTIFUL this girl is! Can you believe that! I have just fallen in love with the people here and they are so beautiful to me. This little girl though is just going to be a beauty when she is grown.
I loved this little girl. She was CRANKY and didn't want her picture taken. I have one of her giving me such a dirty look! Her mother came and talked to her to get her to smile and I just love this shot mainly for the mother. Cute girl and beautiful mother. Just look at her smile. A good note to end on since today is Mother's Day!
Church was fun. I was asked, along with the other white lady in to make cookies for all the mothers in church. We both have ovens and we know how to make cookies. We made sugar cookies, not as sweet because they don't like too much sugar. The children sang 4 songs and gave a little Primary Presentation. we invited our friends, the Holbrooks, over for dinner. They are the other white couple in the ward and are leaving in a week a half to go back home. They have lived here for 3 years working for the church in the CES program. It's been a pleasant day. A big storm came through cooling everything down. Oh yeah! We made a cake!! It's been awhile since we've had something like that. We're so use to not eating a lot of sugar that we did not want icing on it and it was sooooo yummy! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!



3 comments:
You're right, that girl is gorgeous. She could totally be a model here in the states.
I bet it's nice to feel like you're doing some good out there. That's nice!
Da-Woman, you did such an amazing photography job, you left me teary. I can't believe you got to take part in such a cool experience... helping the people get mosquito nets. Wow. Your photography was prize winning it was so beautiful... National Geographic quality... I am serious! My two favorites are 1) the woman laughing and 2) the pregnant woman in the blue dress on the porch. Both photos are stunning. You did a fabulous job. Wow. I am truly awed. Thank you for sharing the smiles of these people. Thank you for reminding me to count my blessings. You have made my day.
Okay and my 3rd favorite photo is of Spencer looking at the people under the tree... I love the perspective you captured... this picture is worth a MILLION WORDS.
Wow.
Post a Comment