Monday, June 23, 2008

Our trip to Akosombo


this is the dock and restaurant area of our Hotel Afrikiko.
This is how they cut the grass here.....by machete. he was actually trimming the edges. Very cool to watch. I'm going to have to take a picture of the road crews before I go. If you can imagine like 5-6 guys in matching jumpers all swinging machetes, hacking the grass down to the same level like a lawn mower.
The grounds at the hotel were beautiful. The owner had these arches put in to cover all the footpaths. The arches were covered with all kinds of plant life, whether mango trees, flowers, etc.
a woman and child traveling by canoe carrying goods back home or to a destination to sell. Why drive, when you can paddle :)
here's our explanation...sorry it's out of order, but I'm too tired to fix it right now.


We decided to take a trip for the weekend up north about 2 hours to the Volta Region. We had previously gone farther when we went to Hoe and Hohoe and on to Togo. We were just going to see the Volta Lake and take a Ferry ride and come home the next day. So we left Friday and found a hotel. We then traveled to the ferry place to get our tickets and wouldn't ya know it.....it's finished. Of course. It was down for mechanical problems but would be working again the next month...............maybe. So we opted for a boat ride on the Volta River from our hotel. The ferry would have been for 4-6 hours on the lake, provided lunch and takes you to a touristy island where people just want to sell you crafts for a lot of money. The boat ride was 30 min. and it took you to see the dam that was built in the 60's? I guess I wasn't paying attention enough. Anyway, it was built to provide energy and electricity for Ghana and a few other neighboring countries like Togo. This dam has created one of the largest or the largest man-made lake in the world. Well, the 30 min. ride was perfect. That's about all my children could handle. It had also downpoured our entire car ride up to Akosombo so that by the time we arrived our hotel it had stopped and had also cooled things down, making our boat ride very pleasant. We also got to view local villages along the river. The next day we awoke and decided to take the mountain road home. It takes you along the top of the mountains here and provides a beautiful scenic ride. We stopped in a town called Aburi where there is an area where wood-carvers sit carving and selling their goods. Quite pleasant! Then we came home. Not that big of a deal, but I took many pictures to show you different things.





Craig and Rachel at the "Miracle Bridge". I think it's just called the Akosombo bridge, but it's nicknamed miracle because previous president and coup leader J.J. Rawlings decided to fly a fighter jet underneath it just because he said he could. He did it and it was considered a miracle that he didn't crash!
A village along the river. The women are washing laundry and dishes in the river. This is as close as my camera would allow me.
2 fisher boys just hangin' out.....in their underwear, but hey they all were.
The dam
In this picture, you an see that the fishermen and village are laying their nets out to dry on the rock. The river had many many canoes and paddlers fishing for food and market selling.


1 comment:

Ute Family said...

Man, I can't say it enough. You are so lucky to be having all of these experiences. This will totally make you a stronger person and make you appreciate all of the things us americans take for granted. Am I right or am I right?!