Saturday, December 8, 2007

Kakum National Park

So in continuing on with the vacation photos, this is Kakum National Park. This is a rainforrest. It is home to all different kinds of monkeys, birds, leopards, giant forest hogs, forest elephants, etc. Of course if you want to see these animals you have to go on an overnight hiking trip deep into the rainforest. They have built a canopy walk about 200 ft. above ground (we think. craig and I couldn't remember the exact number). All it is made of is about 1 ft. wide boards for the walkway and rope. You walk on the boards while holding onto the ropes and try to keep your balance. it's obviously very wobbly, but so amazing. The view was spectacular. My dad and I went on the walk while Craig stayed behind with the kids. He did the walk 3 years ago with a friend.
This first picture is of my dad and I just getting started on the walk.


A view looking towards the rainforest.
It was amazing the difference in humidity just walking from the car to just inside the rainforest. Even though we weren't on the ground where it is most humid, we were still dripping with sweat when we got back to the car. Or at least I was.
This was just an awesome tree. The guide told me that these are the trees that parrots prefer to live in. I asked if all the little bunches of vegetation/flowers on the tree were nests and he said yes. Although, I'm not really sure how much he understood what i was saying.
We even got to see a monkey.


No comments: