After all the laundry was finished, Craig and I went home to get ready for our date. Our friend Ana Samarjian watched the kids for us and we went out. All I asked was that we go to a place where I could get Ghanaian food. Craig took me to Tante Marie's. It was very nice.
Craig ordered a dish called palava sauce with rice. It's some sort of spinach based sauce poured over rice.

I ordered banku with peanut stew. Banku is similar to fufu. It's a dough made out of yams and kasava. They pound the two with a few other things (I think. Man, Craig could explain this part much better!) until it's like a play-do type texture. You then pull a part of the dough off with your fingers and dip it into your soup/stew and then swallow it whole. Craig said it's best not to chew it, just pop it in and swallow. Trust me, that's not very easy. Definately a memorable experience.

Ana bought be a cake, determined that I not make my own birthday cake. Very beautiful! And very nice!!!!

The puffed cheek effect of blowing a single candle out! It's hard work ya know. Ana is in the background as well as our friends son, Fox Buchele.

Family photo!

It was a great birthday. I had a lot of fun and it wouldn't have been possible without my good friends and hubbster.
3 comments:
I want to know... Is that wine on the table?
Hmmm...
Wow--looks like you guys had a good time! Been thinking about you, so I'm glad things are going well over there!
Okay, lame friend I am, looks like I missed these photos too! Ooops. you are doing awesome... trying local food... that is a BIG step. It took me a lot longer than that to eat local food when I lived in the heart of Mexico... some of that was scary, but you have me WAY beat! No food you mention have I ever heard of. Wow. You go girl!
Post a Comment