Chocolate ice cream-1 gallon
cheddar cheese- .365kg
Mac-n-cheese
Now you know why we spend more on food than we do on rent! Not a joke. I have friends who spend a lot less, but they don't have kids, or they aren't married and they eat off the streets OR they eat a lot of spaghetti. So in order to try to save more money we have started to eat spaghetti about twice a week too. We've also learned which recipes cost less money to make and we eat a lot of that. I have been able to find cereal for $4 so don't think that we only eat it for that. But it is only like plain corn flakes. Man, everywhere you go there's corn flakes. If you want the sugar cereals then yeah you pay about $10. A new store opened that will sell 2 sugar cereals (coco pops and frosted flakes) for $4 but most of the time they are not stocked (because when they are stocked people STOCK up till they're gone!). So food is very expensive unless you want to eat on the street at a chop bar, but that isn't always the safest route to go as far as germs go. EGHGHHGHHH! I don't want to think about what might crawl around in those places. Craig thinks I'm silly and has no problems eating at chop bars, but I'm stickin' with being Mrs. Safety. Oh yeah, I also found out about two kinds of meat that people will eat here. The ewe people like to eat cat. oh yes. I always wondered why I didn't see very many running around. Some people like to eat dog as well. As for me, I stick with the chicken and fish. I have eaten the beef but it tastes different and I don't know why. MAYBE!!!! because I saw some cows grazing in a field of burning trash (literally they were eating the trash). Hmmmm.



5 comments:
That is so gross about the cows...I'm with you on that one. Better safe than sorry about the chop shops!
Good luck with all of you spaghetti dinners. It least that's an easy one to make :)
I thought DC was bad. $5 for a gallon of milk and $3 for the cheap cereal. $12 is unreal. No wonder everyone in Africa is so skinny. Maybe you should write a book on the Ghanian weight-loss program that you are developing. It'll make millions and then you can afford to eat there.
Wow, I can't believe those prices! Yes, Sarah, stick to the chicken and beef...
Okay, you convinced me. Next time American Idol does that "donate money to Africa thing" I am totally chipping in for you guys to get another box of cornflakes.
Oh my goodness...you guys are so amazingly brave! I am a little jealous being around all those too cool Ghana folk.
Post a Comment