Rachel has finally found a friend to play with. Her name is Maria and is one of our neighbors. We invited her over to play and then ever since then she just comes over whenever she wants. She has of late started bringing other children. We're going to have to tell her that she needs our permission to just start inviting the neighborhood over to play. She is such a pretty girl. She has been called oburuni (means foreigner. People shout oburuni out to us everytime we walk anywhere or when they want our attention) by some because her skin is so fair. She has one of the memorable laughs that I'm going to have to catch on film. A funny quote by Rachel "mom, I know the difference between Ghanaian kids and me." "what?" "They're black, and I'm skinny." We had a good laugh over that one.
maria

Spencer's smile really has just taken on so many new levels

Rachel and Maria posing.

Okay, so in Ghana, many many many people have scars on their faces. They are very distinct and noticeable. They are mainly small lines either one or two in different places on their faces. They are tribal scars and given at birth or when a baby. Maria has some on her face. There is one on her left cheek. they are always a dark scar. she also has two on her right lower cheek just below the lip line. You might have to click the picture to see it bigger. It's hard to see to because she has so much dirt on her face and it's just a bad shot with the lighting. I'll get a better one later. My friend also found out that some scars are not tribal. Some could be from a witch doctor who is trying to banish the tantrums out of the kids or something like that. I might have to get the specific details from her on that.

There is no pedestrian crosswalk rules here. There are crosswalks, but the driver has the ultimate power and can do what they want. My friend, Katie, told me that if a car hits you and knocks you down, but you don't die it's your fault for getting in the way. However, if a car hits you and you die, then it's the drivers fault. Oh this is so true. You have to watch for cars at all times and make sure you are as far off the road as possible when walking. Maria was hit by a car just the day before this picture was taken. It knocked her down to the ground and she had to go to the hospital. Luckily she only had a few scrapes and bruises and this cut on her cheekbone. My friend ana was walking on the road and a car hit her and knocked her down. half the time I don't even think the drivers stop to make sure people are okay. I've seen many many cars hit and motorcycles. There is literally no rules for the road. Just drive and get there however you can. Disorganized chaos. Perfect discription.

2 comments:
It seems like such a strange custom to scar your baby's face. But I think piercing a baby's ears is weird too. She is beautiful and I am glad she wasn't hurt worse by the car. How scary to have to be so concerned about crazy drivers.
Another story. I am learning so much. It's like I'm taking an African Culture Class or something! :)
Post a Comment