Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Chinese Man....

Knowing that the kids wouldn't have a lot of things to do in ghana, (no parks, not very many friends, dangerous to walk on some streets, etc.) I brought some books, toys, movies, and dress-up clothes. Obviously this is Spencer's pirate costume, but not according to my neighbors. Our friend, Cindy who is pictured below with me, said "Eh! small boy, why are you dressed like a Chinese man?" I said, "he's a pirate." Cindy "yooo. eh! spencer, small boy, do you like to look like Chinese men?" Obviously she didn't understand what I was saying. I guess that to a Ghanaian or at least to Cindy this is how the Chinese dress. Cindy below is wearing what is called a traditional. Every Ghanaian has one, or I should say that most have them depending on if they can afford one. A traditional is their best dress. Some are even nicer than others. Like the traditionals to wear to church, or the ones for really nice events like weddings or holidays, and even specific ones for funerals. They are beautiful and most are worn with a head piece. Cindy didn't wear hers that night because she wasn't quite sure if she should or not coming to our house. They are very form fitting and just beautiful. I'm planning on getting one made very soon and I'll have to post some pictures for you!
This is Rachel and Spencer's special friend, Josephina. She was our MTN girl. MTN is a company that sells phone cards for your cell phones. Her stand was across the street from us and I bought mine from her, however, she has since left to go to nursing school. Hopefully we will see her again before we leave Ghana.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you will look stunning in your traditional! I can't wait to see it!

Love,
Andre'

curtis and linda said...

You look great in all the pictures. your everyday life looks to be full of neat adventures. Love the traditionals.

Samye said...

Just wanted to let you know that we miss you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, Love reading each and every post. Keep them coming. The Photos are wonderful.
Love & Blesssing to All,
Sharon B.