Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My first rain storm

There have been a couple of times where it has rained, but it only lasted maybe 5 minutes or less. 2 nights ago within 5 minutes it had gotten dark and then the rain began. from beginning to end it only lasted maybe an hour with the last 30 minutes at a light rain. I saw this out my front door and loved how you could see the contrast between where the rain was starting and where it was still sunny. I have a better picture that didn't upload. I'll try it again. The rain cooled everything off so that it felt quite lovely outside. I just loved it! Most of the houses here, including ours, have a tin roof so that when it rains......it is soooo loud. So imagine when it rains hard! I was told that this was very mild. The storms here are not dramatic in that the thunder and lightning don't crash down everywhere. However when rainy season starts, the rain will just pour down in bucket loads. Craig said that there will be 2-3 days of sunshine and then it will rain and it will rain hard all day. Then you might get another day of sunshine and then rain. On average it probably rains 3 times a week give or take and it just pours it down. I'm curious as to how the roads hold up here. Craig says that obviously dirt roads are not passable. They have huge gutters everywhere, but if it pours the rain, I would think those would fill quickly. I should take a picture of the gutters for you. The small ones that are filled with sewage that makes you gag everytime you walk past and then the reallybig gutters that are dry and filled with tons of trash. The whole 'keep America clean' slogan really needs to be brought here.

No comments: