I just reread my last entry. I must have been pretty tired and overwhelmed because that was just one scatter brain thought leading to another. I pick up where I left off though. Remember how I said that I awoke to a woman singing in the street? Yes, well the next morning I awoke to someone throwing up or gagging. Unfortunately, I hear that every morning. It must be a routine with my very near neighbor. To give an idea about Accra, I'll just describe some of the senses. Smell-you would think that you would smell tropical plants or food or something, but alas no. Car Exaust. It is overwhelming how strong the smell is. You really have to learn to adjust to it. I still get headaches. Sight-LOADS of people all about. Seeing a white person is like one grain of salt in a sea of pepper. Oh yes, and crazy, disorganized traffic chaos. (that's just the best way to describe it). I won't be driving anytime soon. I'm good with directions but I'm constantly turned around here because the roads go every which way. Sound-I hear a lot of church worship. More especially at my home because my neighboring building is a penecostal church. They worship whenever for as long as they want. All night Friday nights and sometimes up until 10 or 11pm during the week and also anytime during the day. Day time is preferrable because then it just sounds like bad kareoke. If it's at night, it's lively until about 9:30pm and then it starts to sound as if the guys just drunk and mumbling to himself. (Trust me it's pretty bad). Another interesting thing about sound is that you would think that you would hear African music playedon the radio and in the streets. Like in Israel, all the teenagers would cruise the pebbled streets on the tractors listening to Israeli pop music. But here? You jam to Whitney Houstan's I will always love you and Brian Adams everything I do, I do it for you. Also select songs from Celine Dion and Country songs (like she thinks my tractor's sexy by kenney chesney). You not only hear them at least once a day, but everywhere you go all day. On one radio station it played whitney, then another song, and then Whitney again. Kinda funny. Taste-haven't gotten there yet. I've been told that Ghanian food is very hot and that thought scares the crud out of me. I'm sticking to what I know right now, but this Saturday I'll go crazy for my birthday and we'll go to an authentic restaraunt. Touch-dirty. Everything you touch gets you dirty. I'm told that it's especially that way right now because it's the dry season and the winds come in from the Sahara Desert and it leaves dust everywhere. This is true.
So pretty much my first few days consisted of adjusting to the time, and going grocery shopping. It gets much more interesting, trust me.
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Sounds like you've got everything under control there. A lot of people do envy you though...a new experience in a whole new country. Pretty exciting. Think positive and have a great birthday this week!!
Hi guys,
I'm so glad to hear your all doing well and healthy. Thank you so much for all the blogs. We think about you all the time and hope your happy and safe. Sounds like so far so good. It sounds a bit caotic to me, but if anyone can handle that it would be you guys. How are the kids doing. Are they having fun? Happy Birthday Sarah. I hope you have an awsome day!! Go buy some of that $12 dollar ice ream and celebrate. We miss you guys. Take care and write if there is anything you need.LOL. Love you guys.
Curtis, Linda, Mo and Sam
HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY, SARAH!
I miss you tons!
This is definitely entertaining writing. I've always wanted to travel with Josh to his crazy places, but perhaps I should realize, it's not all exotic! Love ya girl!
A grain of salt among a bunch of pepper... Really? What kind?
White pepper?
Red pepper?
Green pepper?
Sergeant Pepper?
How about Schinus terebinthifolius (Brazilian "pink" pepper)?
Gee, no wonder the food there is so hot. That would scare the crud out of me, too (just go ahead an put that down under "smells").
Post a Comment