Saturday, November 17, 2007

Kenkey for Thanksgiving?


After school, Gloria (Kingsley's wife) made us kenkey (pronounced kin-kay) and pepe (pronounced peh-pay) stew with sardines. I had never had kenkey before, and it was actually quite better than it looked. Kenkey looks like a bloated tortilla, and it’s made form cornmeal, but its consistency is a mix between cornmeal and mashed potatoes. It’s really sticky and tough to manipulate in your hands. The pepe stew is basically tomatoes, onions, and pepe, which are really hot African peppers, all pounded together into a type of hot paste. To eat it, you take a bit of kenkey in your hand, dip it into the pepe stew, and then eat. I was proud to hear that Kingsley’s children remembered me as the “white man who eats like a Ghanaian.” They also took a can of sardines and dumped the oil and sardines into my pepe stew. I struggled eating the kenkey, but got through it. The sardines were the last thing I wanted to eat, and then I tried them and really, really liked them. I don’t know if I’ve ever had sardines before, and maybe US sardines are different, but these were delicious. Of course, they had no heads or tails, so I just ate them whole, bones and all. And I may have found a new delicacy!

No comments: