Well, I'm here. I'll just start my journey from the beginning. It all started with delayed flights. Chicago was having weather issues, so all flights in and out were delayed. We got to chicago and literally ran to our next gate because our plane was boarding. Once we got to London, once again we had to hurry to catch our next flight which was once again boarding. I had to laugh because you could tell the difference between our American airlines and the British ones even by just the food. American airlines said that you could have beef or chicken and on the British airways we were offered lamb and rice pudding and salmon salad. Everyone drank wine with their meals. I think they looked at me funny because I turned the offer of wine down. I'm not even sure they made the passengers pay for the bottles of wine that came with their meals. (So no worries Tricia! They'll help you with your fear of flying) Anyway, it was so different being surrounded by Africans on the plane. Everyone was so much more accomodating to my kids. They played with them and held their hands to walk or helped lift them up to the seats adn things like that. When we were flying over Accra getting ready to land and bunch of women started getting excited and chanting GHANA! We are here! We exited the plane on the tarmac and walked to a building that had the word 'Akwaaba' written in large letters over the door. That means welcome. It was so sticky. It didn't feel super hot, but just soooo humid. Once you get through customs and exit the airport you are entirely surrounded by Ghanians. Rachel found Craig right away. I couldn't hardly see him. Alll the people there are mainly taxi drivers or people looking for money. They think that if they somehow help you to your car or taxi that you'll pay them for their assistance. Craig had some people there to help us and when we all met together, there were about 7 extra guys just standing there, acting as if they were also part of the help. Most left once we started walking but a coupld hung in there to the end. Craig even asked one to just leave. And I quote "Please just go away. i am not going to pay you, just so you know. Seriously I want to be left alone. Go away!" "No worries. It's okay." But he still followed and tried to help witht he luggage, of which once we were done, he was not payed. I'm sure he wasn't very happy. We got to our hot apartment (Craig thinks that I should get used to no AC so that I can get adjusted to Ghana heat faster) and I just felt like crying. This little white girl has been pampered I'm afraid. I've realized that I just need to roll up my sleeves and get to work. I've got to clean from top to bottom. Our apartment actually has carpet in it, but I don't think it has EVER been vacuumed. Why? Because no one sells vacuums. Why? Because nobody here has carpeted apartments. Why did the guy put carpet in then? I HAVE NO IDEA! So I'm still onthe look out for a vacuum, but I think I'm just going to have to learn how to sweep my carpet. Yikes! We have mosquito nets covering our beds, but thankfully I haven't even seen one yet! We all took our malaria meds once we arrived and unfortunately the kids didn't drink enough water because the next morning Spencer had like a rash around his eyes. Or something. Allergies or just too much concentrated med. I don't know, I'm watching him like a hawk. The medication that they take is pretty powerful with some not so fun side effects. So far so good though.
There is no hot water here. However you don't mind so much because you're so hot and sticky. It's quite refreshing to take a cold shower. When we awoke the next day it was to 3 different roosters crowing and people down in the market. A woman was actually singing too. You know how you envision Africans singing a lot? Maybe not, but I do and it just seemed awesome to hear it to me. I don't think they do that very often, but I'm glad I at least heard it for my first morning. Craig took my father and I to the University of Ghana for our first day to meet Prof. Brempong adn see campus. it was beautiful. I'll have pictures to post sometime, but it'll take me a little bit of time. I'll have to let you go. My time is up here, but I'll give you more details to my stay here so far. I want to share everything, but no bore you at the same time! I'll just finish maybe later today. We are going to two different dinner appointments for Thanksgiving. I'll have to let you know how that goes and let you know about our food too. And the ants. And where we're going tomorrow. (To the beach! We're staying at a resort! This of course is to show different areas and tourism do my dad!) So'll I'll have much to talk about! Oh yeah, there are lizards everywhere too.
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
ah! So glad you are all together again! Happy Thanksgiving.
Wow...this is going to be quite the experience for you. Good luck and I can't wait to read about all of your adventures together!!! Can't wait for your next post. And remember...be strong for the spicy food, you don't want to be the weak white girl ;)
So glad to hear you had help for that insanely long trip!! :) Can't wait to hear even more details... Oh, and the Malaria Meds, Josh has been taking that stuff too. Something about wild dreams?? Eeks, hope it's not too bad! Good Luck!
Sarah! Bubs! I can't believe your adventure has started! Keep in touch, girl!
-Rake
Glad you made it safely. Not to worry, you will have a great time!
..especially when The Logues come!
Hi Waite's!!!!!I miss you white girl. It sounds like youa re ogign to have an AMAZING adventure! I am so jealous. Take care and keep in touch. I am excited see your blog and hear info about you all. Love ya!
Hey Sarah! Blast from the past here--Jacque Sargent (Fagrell now)Jeannette gave me the Hooch squad blog and I'd thought I'd track you down! It's so fun to see you and hear about your adventures.
I'm so glad you'll finally start posting some interesting stuff on here. Just kidding. I'm so glad you are all back together. I can't imagine flying with two kids that far, and I'm glad you made all the flights. I'm excited for more!
Post a Comment