Saturday, November 3, 2007

At least the mechanic's property taxes are cheap...

I met a mechanic at church last month, struck up a friendship, and asked if he might be able to do a check-up on my newly bought car. We met Wednesday morning, and my particular concerns were screechy brakes and an old power steering belt. Emmanuel assured me he could do all the work necessary. So we met at a hotel and I drove to his "shop." I say "shop" because you would all call his "shop" a tree. Next to the motorway, under a big tree, that’s where my friend fixes cars. I thought we were driving into the wilderness. His assistant pulled up a chair for me to sit in while they did the work. They first jacked up each tire and placed the car on large rocks that they gathered from the nearby environment. They just used what was close. After 30 minutes, the car was completely on rocks, and Emmanuel had removed all 4 tires, all sets of brakes, the fan belt and the power steering belt. He then told me he had to go to town to buy the new parts, sand the front brakes, and that I should wait there until he returned in about 30 minutes. I gave him 10 cedis ($10.50) for the parts. Emmanuel just walked away, crossed the highway, and disappeared. I wondered if he would ever come back!

So I sat, and watched. I was amazed at how everyday life goes on in this "shop." His teenage assistant just sat down under the tree and relaxed. It wasn’t a really hot day, but sitting in the shade of the tree and just observing events was quite refreshing and relaxing. I enjoyed it immensely. I soon realized why Emmanuel’s shop was located where it was. We were next to the motorway, but the shop areas were barricaded by cement pylons that prevented cars from entering/exiting the motorway anywhere along the side of the road. But trucks/cars would often stop by the side of the road there. Some of the drivers got out to perform work on their own vehicles. Others sought out the help of other local mechanics like Emmanuel to help them repair various things. Other drivers just stopped for a rest and came to relax or eat under the trees like the one that my car was sitting under. Women sellers of cold water, munchies, and other wares came by every so often peddling their goods. In fact, remaining in that location meant that we never had to go out and search for food or drink the entire day. You could just choose when/what to buy from those who came by. It was actually a perfect location for a "shop," just without the buildings. I was happy Emmanuel returned after 45 minutes, and grateful I could see his "shop" up so close and personal.

1 comment:

Mad Queen said...

Oh, that was a great story... I cracked up because I could picture the entire thing... car up on rocks, you give a guy money, he disappears, you are stuck resting under a tree buying bananas from local passerby women... too funny. Glad the guy came back. I am really enjoying your African stories... the oposite of Japan!