Tuesday, February 12, 2008

More game pictures

I wanted to send more pictures of our game experience. This was me and the girls, Katie, Ana, and then myself.


Jeff, Katie, Ana
I love this picture of Kwesi. He was so excited to go to the game. He'd never been to a Black Stars match. Craig and Kwesi. I had to send the picture of the guy with Ghana written on his bum. I talked it up and just had to let you see it for yourself.


This is ex-President Flight Lieutenant J.J. Rawlings, the only living former president of Ghana. He's served as president of Ghana three seperate times, and most recently abdicated the position in a democratic election in 2001. Rawlings has a history of taking over the gov't through military coup d'etat when things aren't going well, and since this is an election year, there's always a chance that he might want to be the head hancho again. And historians say that he could be "partly" responsible for the reason why no other former heads-of-state are still living. I guess coups will do that. Based on the public support for him that we saw at the football game, and in talking with local Ghanaians, everybody loves him! But they also fear him. (Thank you Craig for the history on Rawlings. I may have been the only person at the game who didn't freak out when he walked in because I had no idea who he was!)
Speaking of which, I wanted to talk about that. Before the Ghana match started, this old man with 2 police security guards walked in and headed for our seat section. Everyone was in disbelief! "Ohhhhooooo, it's Rawlings!" the the photography started. He actually sat in our section! No, he didn't have some special box seat. I do like the fact that he wanted to sit among his people. Everyone was running over and taking pictures. I thought I'd join the crowd just for the heck of it. so what is he's had a bunch of people killed in his coups, so what if everyone loves him for it. Just kidding, but he did seem pretty laid back and nice at the game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah!

This sounds like you had so much fun! And you were part of history!

Love it.