Saturday, February 23, 2008

Batik Cloth

Here in Ghana there is all different kinds of cloth that you can buy and use it to make clothes, upholstery items, anything! My friend took me to a place where they stamp and dye the batik cloth. It's a cloth that is most used for Ghanaian clothing! I am going to take a class in about a month on how to stamp and dye the material. I'm also having some clothes made before I leave.
In this first and second photo, it's the first step. They take stamps and dip them into HOT wax and make patterns on the cloth.


They then take the cloth and submerge it into large buckets of dye. I don't know how long they have to soak to remain permanent.
After they have come out of the pots, the people would let them drip dry on this post. I don't know if they dry all the way, it's just what he was doing. Some cloth is finished with the dying at this point. Obviously for different patterns, colors, and intensity of colors they will do the process differently. Some of the cloth was dried, ironed, and then stamped again with different patterns and then put into different colored dyes so that the cloth had more than one color.
After they are done with all the stamping and dying, they then brought them out to this bed of rocks to dry. After the long strips of batik were dry, they would iron them and prepare them to be sold.
I just though it was so cool! I'm really excited for my class:)

4 comments:

Megan Nordstrom said...

Take advantage of that there. Here is the states batik is more expensive and I am pretty sure most of it isn't hand dyed. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

Buy some for the 'Littlest Logue'!

When you get back, you can teach me!

Miss you like crazy.

-Andrea

Ute Family said...

That is so cool. You teach me something new every time you post!!

I agree with Megan...take advantage of everything there!!

What an experience!

Ute Family said...

Oh yeah, good luck at your class.