Then the next day, Spencer and I got very sick. I can't explain it. We were both very tired and weak and he had a really bad cough and a high fever. I didn't have a cough or fever, but I had the chills and my body ached. After 2 days of this, I called around and asked my friends what I should do. Everyone thought we had malaria and that we needed to get tested. Hmmm. Too bad we didn't have a car. So we all hopped in a taxi and went to a local clinic recommended by the LDS church doctor. (That's where he sends the missionaries for stuff like that.) Spencer and I both tested negative for malaria, BUT when you're taking anti-malarial drugs it can mask the symptoms and even affect your test results. I went to a local pharmacy where you can just tell them your symptoms and they'll just give you the drugs like that. I told him that I didn't want malaria drugs but I wanted anti-biotics. Okay. Just like that. Don't worry, I called my pediatrician brother Dan and the church doctor and asked about dosage and stuff like that. We took the medicine and after 4 days of feeling sick, we were finally well enough to not sleep all day. Even now, I still wonder if we both have malaria just lying dormant in us, waiting to to come out again and make us miserable! That 4th day was Sunday and we went to church. We were both a little weak, but well enough for our last Sunday in Ghana. We said goodbye to everyone and I asked my primary kids to sing 'I'm a Child of God' while I videotaped. It was awesome! I handed out CTR rings for all the kids. They don't get rings there. I don't know why. They sell them at the little book store at the temple, but the wards don't buy them.....so I did. I had a lot of adults asking me for one too, but I just told them that they were for the Primary kids.
The only bad thing about getting sick is that I wasn't able to pack the whole time! I now had 3 1/2 days to pack. Sure no big deal. Monday I got started. Our friend Kwesi came one last time to pick up laundry that he would drop off the night before we left. Craig and I started packing and things were going well. However, Tuesday was not good. We got a big blow of bad news about 2 weeks ago. One night, while putting kids to bed, half of the lights went out. The light bulbs were all fine, the power was just out, but only in half the apartment. Craig immediately started making phone calls and MIRACULOUSLY we were able to get the problem solved that night!!!!......sorta. The electrician came that night and said that someone shut the power off in our building. Not the electric company, but the actual switch box. We found out that our electricity was connected with the internet cafe next door that had shut down 2 months previous. They shut the lights off because they didn't want to pay anymore bills. Come to find out, they hadn't been paying their bills since October and had gone into debt by $2000. That's a lot of money for a Ghanaian. Of course 1/3 of that was our bill. We didn't know because no one had ever told us before when to pay or anything. So, the electric company technically could shut off all the power to the whole building, including us, anytime! AND we're lucky because they could have a long time ago. We were blessed that they hadn't up to this point but Craig and I had worked out with our landlord that we would pay our portion and that the Internet company would go with us to pay their portion. The man who owned the cafe was not the most honest so we were trying to make it seem that we would be willing to pay our portion if they would pay there's and that maybe we could pay more if they paid on time. Well, we paid but guess who didn't! We went 2 weeks without anything happening, but we knew it was only time. That's right! On Tuesday, guess who's power shut off and never came on again! We paid our portion but would have to go without power for our last 3 days. I know, not fair, but that's just how it is in Ghana. What's really unfair is that our landlord, totally awesome guy by the way, would most likely have to pay the other 2/3'rds of the bill since he owns the building even though his renter was the one who used the power. Unfortunately for us, we were resolving all ends of everything in Ghana by day and packing by night. So on Tuesday, we had to start packing with our kids running all around us getting in to everything, unless we felt like packing by flash light at night! Yeah right! Luckily we were leaving the country in 3 days so most of our fridge items were already used. I had to pack a back of frozen items and fridge items into a bag and called a friend from the ward to come and take them. She didn't mind though and I ended up giving her what was left of my pantry items too. For the most part it was fine. The only problem was that our spoiled little selves didn't have a working fan at night while we slept. The power had gone off many times before but usually came back on at some point in the night. We endured just 2 nights without any kind of fan to cool us off with. Let's just say nobody slept too good. It was even during the wet season when it cools off at night a bit, so it wasn't even as hot as it could have been. All I have to say is that there are a lot of roosters that crow ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT in Ghana!! Wed. night we said goodbye to Kwesi and Maria. She came over to play with Rachel and we had to tell her that this was the last time. I don't think she completely understood. She was sad, but looked confused too.
In the end, it was great not to have a car because we were walking everywhere and I finally got some good exercise and a tan! But bad about the power. It just threw us for a loop and instead of finishing the packing by Wednesday to enjoy our last day, Thursday, in Accra, we ended up packing all day Thursday up to the minute the van arrived. CRAZY!!! I also remembered that my friend left her beef jerky in the fridge, but not until we were at the airport. I don't even want to think about the ant mess that caused. Hope it wasn't too bad!!! We had to pay for an extra bag because we just had too much stuff. We did get some relaxing. The Accra airport likes you to check in VERY early, so we checked in at 5pm even though we weren't leaving until 10pm. Our friends helped us to the airport, (Thank you Katie and Jeff! We wouldn't have been able to make it without your help!!!) and then we all went out to a really nice hotel restaurant for dinner to use the last of our Ghana cedis since Ghanaian money would be useless in the US. I was so excited!!!! I knew I'd miss Ghana, but I was happy to finally go home and also, we were on our way to the UK for a 2 week vacation with my parents and sister before heading back to Kansas. I'll have to blog all about that. For now, I sign off on Ghana and our many adventures there.
This is Gloria, below, pounding fufu. Notice the difference between her and me?



2 comments:
That dress looks GORGEOUS on you! I bet you are so glad to almost be done posting all of your Ghana stuff. I are you going to turn your blog into a book to have forever and ever? Trust me, it is SO worth it. You'll love it! Love all the stories and pics!
I expect to see Craig in that shirt at least once... preferably at church!
Post a Comment